Broken Keys

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 17:51:58 MDT 2008

Prepare your client for the expectation that you may need to bring the keys
back to the shop. "Broken key" can mean many things to the customer.
Sometimes the key is completely missing! Sometimes it's a spinet with a
broken plastic elbow (EZ fix).
If the key is a wreck, or  missing, remove the neighboring keys, and ship
them to your favorite key expert. He/she can fabricate a key for a
reasonable charge. The last time I faced this scenario I sent them off to
Wheeler Piano Key Service (in KY or TN I think). You have to locate the
balance rail pin hole, but they make it easy.
If you're lucky, you've got a split that you can glue together, clamp, and
reinforce with a couple strips of veneer. Glue joint should be cured by the
time you finish the tuning.

Patrick Draine