Weickert/Wurzen felt

andré oorebeek oorebeek at planet.nl
Wed Oct 15 16:49:24 MDT 2008

You guys seem to forget that Renner makes very beautiful hammers here
in Europe, with.. Wurzen felt.
I have been in contact with Jack Brand for a long time, and I have
followed the development of his 'Wurzen felt' right from the start,
after the reunion of the two Germany's.
I have had this fantastic felt for a long time now and I never ever
want any other felt.
Because of my age, (I am 59) I am a typical example of a generation
that was forced to learn voicing with the felt that was for sale as an
alternative for the Weickert felt, simply because the Weickert felt
was not produced anymore after the Soviets entered East Germany.
Getting acquainted with the 'new' Wurzen felt was a surprising
discovery! even though it was in its early stages of development after
all those years.
I have actually learned to voice this renewed Weickert felt, which was
named Wurzen felt after the town where it is made (Wurzen), at Yamaha,
because they were, I guess, one of the very first ones (together with
Steinway, to use the new Wurzen felt on their CFIII-S.
I do not really like the AA standard because it is, according to me,
too dense and too heavy, and it takes much longer to voice than the
single A standard which is my favorite.
The real secret of having a fine success with these hammers is :
1. the quality of the wool
2. the quality of the felt
3. the quality of the hammer maker
4. the quality of the technician

I have been able to influence Renner to make hammer for me, according
to my taste.
That makes all the difference! and that is , I guess, what Ray Negron
is doing.
He (Ray Negron) told me that his father used Weickert felt in the old
days.
Because of our contact, years ago, and through the willingness of Jack
Brand, the Weickert/Wurzen felt came back to Ronsen and back to the US.

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek

Antoni van Leeuwenhoekweg 15