the economy/starting out

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Tue Oct 14 10:18:27 MDT 2008

I've got a pickup and I've moved pianos, on occasion, using it.

What I've found:
-As previously mentioned, the pickup is higher than most trailers you
can rent, and unless you've sprung for a lift gate, the grunt factor
is much higher.
-If you have a smaller one, as I do, (S-10) and use it in your
everyday work, you will probably have a topper on it. The topper will
have to be removed as well as most of the supplies and tools to make
room for the piano, skid, dolly(ies), ramp(s), straps, blankets, tools
and everything else you might ever imagine you'd need - and some
things you'd never guess you'd need!
-You will have to pray for good weather, or schlep even more stuff to
waterproof the piano for the journey.
-Depending on the piano being moved, you may need a second vehicle to
carry your crew. You may have to hire crews for each end of the
journey, depending on distance and time factors.
-College kids (of legal age, of course) work for beer - cheap beer.
[wrestling team will need fewer people, but more beer, than music
majors]
-Be aware of all insurance ramifications of using occasional help and equipment.

Been there, done that...
Conrad