Dampp Chaser Problem???????

Marc Lanthier (Piano Lanco) info at pianolanco.com
Mon Oct 13 11:07:26 MDT 2008

Hi list,

I have a new customer with a Kawai RX-3 equipped with a Dampp Chaser with
the model H-4 controller. The piano is about 3 years old. As I opened the
lid to tune, I noticed rust on the tenor strings, and as looked closer, all
of the bass strings had discolored from what seems to be a serious humidity
problem. There was rust on almost all of the strings, and the tuning pins
had discolored in the bass section.

I crawled under the piano and saw that all of the plated steel brackets were
rusted along with all of the screws used to hold the wiring. Even the steel
rod (that goes through the soundboard) from the bottom was totally rusted.
Even the brass cap was discolored.

I immediately emptied the tank and unplugged the system. They will call the
dealer and see what they can do as far as warranty from Dampp Chaser or from
the dealer.

Have any of you encountered such a problem with a Dampp Chaser? Does
theirwarranty cover the replacement of strings etc...

Thanks,

PIANO LANCO
Marc Lanthier
514-770-7438