ETD'S and vacuum cleaners

andré oorebeek oorebeek at planet.nl
Sat Oct 11 05:19:30 MDT 2008

I noticed that some listers did not understand my analogy between a
vacuum cleaner and an ETD  :

The Indian servant is brushing the 300 Yard hallway with a tiny hand
brush, on his knees!
It takes him at least a full day, on his knees.
So I think : give the poor bugger a vacuum cleaner.. makes life for an
Indian sweeper so much easier.
The analogy here is that my ETD is like the sweeper's vacuum cleaner!
works much cleaner and much faster!
Capisce?

Besides, there has been written quite a lot about this ETD topic.
(look in the archives)
I have tuned countless and countless piano's aurally.
At some time I was on the peak of my aural tuning development.
To make the most gorgeous etc tuning in the world took me at least 1,5
hour to 2 hours.

Right then, I noticed that there was a new ETD that gave me EXACTLY
the very same superb and almost faultless tuning.
The difference between my aural tuning and the new ETD tuning was
mainly a difference in time, and it gave me far less stress.
I got used to the ETD very fast and if I really try my best to make,
what I call a 'power tuning', it will take me 45 minutes to 1 hour.
I am especially pleased by the fact that my ETD has improved my
technique.
It is very disheartening to SEE what happens if you give a key a
mighty blow (!)

OOR

quote :

The very first time I went to India, i woke up the next morning
hearing a specific sound outside the door of my hotel room.
I sounded like someone brushing something.
As it continued, I could not help being curious to what it was and I
opened the door.
Behind that door there was an indian hotel servant on his knees,
brushing the carpet of the 300 yards hall way!
I thought to myself "why don't they give this guy a proper vacuum
cleaner"?

My ETD is like that vacuum cleaner.

friendly greetings
from