ETD'S ??? HELP

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Oct 10 17:49:00 MDT 2008

I'm not sure comparisons beyond accuracy in reading pitch are really
worth much without stipulating just what you want the ETD to do for you.
For my usage and interests Tunelab 97 was / is the best solution
around.  Tho I do like the handiness of Pocket Tunelab I miss the
control I have over the tuning curve that was available in Tunelab 97.

For my part I have little use for a machine that decides for me what a
tuning should be.  I already know that and have a very clear picture in
my mind of which partials to match and where as my aural template. Using
an ETD is for me only good if it simply augments that with visual
feedback that is exactly the same thing as my ears are listening for.

Approaching ETD tuning this way, for me mind you, is just as quick as
using an ETD any other way... and far more instructional as it keeps my
attention focused not only on how the instrument sounds... but on the
tuning theory part of the process.  I notice things all along.  For
example I've just noticed from using my P 12ths default template that in
tuning the bass its actually quite a bit more convenient to use 9:3, 6:2
and 3:1 comparisons then octave types.  At some point around A1 or just
below 6:2 and 3:1 tend towards coincidence... A bit lower down in the
scale one on larger pianos the 9:3 can be used and you see the 6:2 and
3:1 just a bit wide... but quite much the same amount so. In addition
I've noticed that 5th types and octave types have a relationship I
hadn't noticed before.  A 6:2 is just a bit larger then a 6:3.  You can
take all octave and 5th types and arrange them after size and order and
you see a very good stretch picture for the bass unfolding for you
available for you to use as a tuning priority. 4:2, 3:1, 6:3, 6:2, 8:4,
9:3.   A couple other interesting bits... the lowest notes can usually
be tuned to the fundemental frequency of the 5th type above in the
temperament area. As it works out this pretty much puts it very close to
a slightly wide 6:3 octave for the note an Octave above.

Point is for me... using an ETD is part of an never ending learning
journey about different interval relationships in the tuning puzzle.
For others... one might just want to learn tuning stability... in that
case just about anything will do well enough... a Korg chromatic tuner
for that matter.  Still others simply want the thing to give them a
finished tuning as quickly as possible without any more fuss then needed.

So what is the best ETD ???  You tell me.

Cheers
RicB