ETD'S ??? HELP

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 10 12:04:29 MDT 2008

"With a number of different ETDs out there, has anyone come up with a best and worst list?"

Hmmmm.... pluses and minuses with all of them - what is important is what
it can do for YOU.  The serious choices are ones that can customize the
tuning for each piano.

First up, the hardware choices:

1. Stand-alone "box"
Accutuner
Verituner
Single use machine, optimized for tuning.  Accutuner has been around a long time, is
very sturdy and has a long battery life.  Spinning lights easy to see.  Steep learning
curve with very limited display.  Verituner is more intuitive and takes in more
information from the piano (especially useful when the custom style approach is used)
Battery life longer than a laptop or pocket pc, but not as long as Accutuner.

2. Laptop computer:
Reyburn Cybertuner
Tunelab Pro

Large screen, adds the ability for massive storage, as well as having client data always
available.  Reyburn has a very clear user interface, a great display and possibly the best
pitch raise calculation. Tunelab's moving bars are easy to see and offers the possibility
of rough tuning without using any mutes.
Both have graphical representations of the tuning curve to assist with choosing an
appropriate tuning style.  Each requires sampling of some notes to gather information
about the piano before tuning.

3. Pocket PC
Reyburn Cybertuner
Tunelab Pro
Verituner
OnlyPure

The smallest, lightest option offers the ease of backup, data management and calendar
options of the laptop in a smaller package.  Possiby more difficult to see and manipulate
via the screen and stylus taps.

I've not seen the newest, OnlyPure in action, but recently there was a post with some
tunings linked from Kent Swafford.

For the software, you will find people that like each platform and use them for the
highest level tunings.  If you intend to be a "blended" tech - that is someone that
works WITH a machine as a partner, how the interface works with you becomes
important.  You want to let the machine do what it does best while also letting the
ear and "wetware" do what it does best.

I personally prefer the Verituner at this point - I feel that because it takes more samples
from the piano it offers a better chance at coming up with a more appropriate calculation
based on what I want it to do.  I run it on a pocket pc - I like the ability to install it on a
new pocket pc and be up and running without waiting for repairs in case it crashes...
(or I run over it in the garage..... yes, I really did do that!)

Ron Koval
Chicagoland