[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: Unstringable C8, was Steinway 78183]]

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 9 11:30:03 MDT 2008

Two thoughts:

1)What is the friction under the bearing bar? The highest string tension in the system will be between the tuning pin and the bearing bar. Is the bar rough, or tightened down too far? Perhaps some good lubrication on the bar would help. At one time Steinway was applying a heavy white grease to the pressure bar, if I remember correctly.

2)Since these are notes 87 and 88, which aren't very pretty in the best cases, is there enough notch on the bridge to try sliding a little piece of brass rod on the edge of the bridge, to make a forward termination? Not classy, but quick out of sight, and likely to be held in place by gravity assist on a vertical.

Ed Sutton