[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: Unstringable C8, was Steinway 78183]]

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 9 07:02:08 MDT 2008

This trust issue is a big thing. This from the lady who's top string
broke on the Steinway vertical.  I forwarded all the pianotech posts to
these folks- trust and respect at least sometimes coming from honest
admission that a problem is beyond one's ability, but s/he will do their
darndest to find a solution. Now, I just wish we could find that
solution!   Extending the bridge closer to the capo seems like a
reasonable possibility, huh?  It wouldn't require an entire design of a
very old, and mostly nicely rebuilt piano.
les b

Dear Les,

This is Mary writing; Jerry showed me the correspondence you forwarded to him about key 88 on our Steinway.

Thank you for submitting this problem for consideration by the group, and for forwarding to us their insights and ideas. Reading these discussions is fascinating as well as helpful: we get a glimpse of piano workings, and also see the interest and concern of so many knowledgeable people on this question.

You made an excellent difference in the piano, and we appreciate it.  The action is noticeably improved, as well as the tuning. I have been playing it faithfully every day, at least some chromatic scales. You are right; it definitely responds to use.

Thank you for your good work. I am so happy that Carl recommended you.

Best regards,

Mary Ochoa