the economy

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 8 21:09:35 MDT 2008

On the first of October, I raised my fees 14% as I had been planning to for some time.  I did have some qualms about such a move with the economy as it is, but did it anyway.   I don't need or want the price shoppers.  No one has complained yet, and I have picked up new clients and continue to be busy.  In challenging times, being flexible can be very helpful.  In the last few months, as in previous economic downturns, more people want to buy and sell used pianos.  Most technicians in my area do not do formal appraisals.  I have done a lot of them lately.  Steinway charges double for appraisals what they charge for tunings, it can be good work if you know your market and pianos.

Doing larger shop jobs is another way to keep earning what you need while tuning work slows down.  If you can't find the clients who will pay for this work, you may want to find a good deal on a quality grand to rebuild.  You will take a chance on how long it takes to sell it.  This is just one more way to invest in yourself as others have suggested.  There are many ways to get more business at any stage of your career.  Get creative and get out there; the worst thing you can do is sit around and mope and complain.

I recently saw a quote from Harry S. Truman.  He said that early in his career, he had to make the choice between playing piano in a whorehouse or going into politics.  He had no doubt but that playing the piano would have been the more honorable choice.

I look forward to seeing many of you this weekend at the Central East Regional Seminar, the Whole Piano.

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT
bdornfeld at earthlink.net
North Shore Chapter