the economy

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 8 07:56:45 MDT 2008

Richard,

No to fee reduction and no discounts.  I plan to go through my customer
database for people who haven't tuned for more than a year and send a
"special" reminder card.  Otherwise, try to take the long view:  Cut
back on spending and ride it out, don't do anything that would weaken my
position on the marketplace when it begins to pick up again.  Or, to
state it more positively, focus on those services and business practices
which will make pianos owners want to come to me when they again have
discretionary money to spend.  Give good value now, continue to remind
them of things we can plan to do in the future to improve their piano.
Example:  I've facilitated the approval of  warranty repairs for a loyal
customer, which involves moving her piano to my shop for 2-3 weeks.  I
will be providing a loaner at no charge, a small grand recently
"remanufactured" which I want to sell.  Little chance of getting a good
price for it now, so why not get some good will and some exposure?  I
believe this will pay off in the long run.

Mike