Leather Tape Ends - all gone!

david at piano.plus.com david at piano.plus.com
Wed Oct 8 08:03:08 MDT 2008

Picture my chagrin on discovering that Heckschers no longer sell the nice
leather tape ends they used to have in the catalogue.

I always found 'em so handy for just replacing the odd one or two. I know,
I know, if two or three tape ends have crumbled, the whole set needs
doing.

But realistically, in many of the old birdcage pianos in my "patch", it's
just so useful to be able to quickly replace the odd leather tape end. I
do it for free for regular customers and if nothing else it stops the
wippens dropping down if you have to take the action out for anything
else.

You'd think that the tape braid would be perished too, and occasionally it
is, but quite often it's just the leather end that's gone and the tape is
still passable.  Replacing the ends is quick, easy, and also unobtrusive,
where a new tape & end sticks out a mile and is much more fiddly to fit.

Now I am down to my last half-dozen tape ends. I must carefully ration
them until I find more!

David.