Fwd: Good Old Harry Truman

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Tue Oct 7 01:08:42 MDT 2008

We work for some very honorable people.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Mililani, Oahu, HI
808-349-2943
Author of:
The Business of Piano Tuning
available from Potter Press
www.pianotuning.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Phkitty2 at aol.com
To: Wimblees at aol.com; slomotion at charter.net; Myjan55 at aol.com; Gearyhts at aol.com; kdguy at sbcglobal.net; MUSICA4U at aol.com; mabace at bama.ua.edu; Rasammy at cox.net; smokeyman3301 at hotmail.com; Tazman4406 at aol.com; wels at citlink.net
Sent: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 5:58 pm
Subject: Good Old Harry Truman

Harry Truman -- Extraordinary Man

The Buck Stops Here...... In Honor of the Last REAL Straight-talking

Political Leader, Harry Truman ---

'It doesn't matter how big a ranch ya' own or how many
cows ya' brand, the size of your funeral is still gonna depend on the weather.'

After President Truman retired from office in 1952, he was left with
an income consisting of basically just a US Army pension, reported to
have? been only $13,507.72 a year.? Congress, noting that he was paying for
his? stamps and personally licking them, granted him an'allowance' and,?

later, a retroactive pension of $25,000 per year.

?

When offered corporate positions at large salaries, he declined,
stating,? 'You don't want me.? You want the office of the president,
and that? doesn't belong to me.? It belongs to the American people, and
it's not for sale.'

Even later, on May 6, 1971, when Congress was preparing to award him
the Medal of Honor on his 87th birthday, he refused to accept it, writing,
'I don't consider that I have done anything which should be the
reason for any award, Congressional or otherwise.'

We now see that other past presidents, have found a new level of
success? in cashing in on the presidency, resulting in untold wealth.? Today,
many? in Congress also have found a way to become quite wealthy while
enjoying the fruits of their offices.? Obviously, political offices are now for
sale.
?

Good old Harry Truman could have been correct when he observed,
'My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse
or a? politician.? And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference.
I, for one, believe the piano player job to be much more honorable than
current politicians.'

?

?

?

New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News & more. Try it out!