Steinway 78183

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 6 17:16:39 MDT 2008

A little help please.  Today I attempted to tune the above mentioned
piano. When i arrived the highest string on B7 and the first strand on
C7 were missing.  As I moved up through B7 to the remaining strands of
C8, the two remaining strands were at least 500 cents low.  I slowly
pulled them up, and the string broke at about A7.  The former tuner, not
an rpt, but capable of tuning far superior to most rpt's I know, I
suspect had trouble with B7, and left C8 way low- which is just speculation.

#13 wire was specified on the plate as going down to D7. This piano has
had significant reconstruction in the last ten years. Hammers, damper
felts, keys bushed (thightly), some damper levers replaced,
hammer/damper flanges replaced, and some damper levers replaced.  All in
all it's an amazing piano for its age.

However help me please- I think the gauge of the wire was just to large
at B7/C8. Can anyone give me sage advice.   If so, please hit "reply
all", as I wish Mr Ochoa to be aware of what the experts are saying
about this issue.

Thanks
les bartlett
houston