Low Inertia

jimialeggio5 at comcast.net jimialeggio5 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 4 20:48:38 MDT 2008

Ed,

Thanks for your response. All of your points reflect the point of view I was
trying to describe.

>The human side is far more variable. The way the performer uses the human
>system will ultimately determine what the most responsive arrangement would
>be in the piano. From the viewpoint of piano technology, this has hardly
>been explored.
>Ortmann's _Physiological mechanics of Piano Playing_ and Fink's _Mastering
>Piano Technique_ come to mind. Fink has produced an excellent video
>demonstrating various ways of using the arms and hands to play the piano.
>It seems to me we need to connect both sides, and that you might be someone
>who can do this.

Meaning connect the engineering to the body mechanics?
Interesting..daunting...but something to consider.

Its interesting...I have been bugging the Boston chapter to consider doing a
serious technical on the ergonomics of tuning..give the issue some serious
thought.

Having beat my bod' up working on-site, historic restoration, building houses,
etc earlier in my career took its toll on my bod'. The last 4 years I completely
re-tooled how I use my body...retooled how I walk, stand, breathe...the whole 9
yards.  It produced a quantum leap to my piano playing, not to mention every
other part of my life...overcame a decades long musical and personal plateau.

The ergonomics of the instrument, is quite as present in my mind as the
technical aspects of the instrument, but the touch and tone I am looking for now
has been consistent since I was 15. Its a body style and musical temperament
thing.

>Pianists also have very different kinds of bodies, so that in optimizing a
>piano for, say a 280 pound pianist with giant hands, we may be making it
>miserable for other pianists.

I totally agree; there are so many body and muscular and temperament styles, why
does one piano design fit all.

Having the modern piano defined specifically to master the concert stage really
creates a vertical market. No wonder electric pianos have gained such a large
part of the market.

Jim

--
Jim Ialeggio