Low Inertia

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 4 06:27:29 MDT 2008

Jim-

The piano is the simple part of the inertial system.

The human side is far more variable. The way the performer uses the human
system will ultimately determine what the most responsive arrangement would
be in the piano. From the viewpoint of piano technology, this has hardly
been explored.
Ortmann's _Physiological mechanics of Piano Playing_ and Fink's _Mastering
Piano Technique_ come to mind. Fink has produced an excellent video
demonstrating various ways of using the arms and hands to play the piano.
It seems to me we need to connect both sides, and that you might be someone
who can do this.

Pianists vary in how much of the possibilities of expression they use, and
are sensitive to, and so we get paradoxical responses to pianos, which may
be due to irreconcilable differences in basic musical intentions. (Such as a
desire for articulate playing vs. building big resonance sounds. There seem
to be pianists who never play below mezzoforte, for example.)

Pianists also have very different kinds of bodies, so that in optimizing a
piano for, say a 280 pound pianist with giant hands, we may be making it
miserable for other pianists.

I'm also curious if you have played pianos with various 19th century
actions, and if they may have been more expressive for you.

Ed Sutton