Fitting fire hose to barbs

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Oct 4 04:18:46 MDT 2008

Hope the boiling water/oil thing works for you. I found that when I put the hardware on my hoses that my four-letter-word vocabulary increases dramatically. I think I did finally use some sort of lubricant - been so long now I really don't remember what - but I do remember lots of cursing, twisting, pounding, pleading, etc. But in the end they finally go and you get something like this.....

I took these pictures yesterday morning - I ribbed a Del Fandrich design soundboard panel for a 1970s S&S D.

I find ribbing panels one of the most satisfying activities. I love how the panel goes from wet-noodle to rock stiffness. Fun stuff!

FWIW: I used three presses to rib this panel. A smaller press was used for the high treble ribs. I takes me about 20 minutes to prep, glue and clean-up each rib - so even if I am working without interruption, leapfrogging with three presses gives me 40 to 50 minutes of clamping time for each rib. I'm using Titebond Original which has a recommended clamp time of 20 minutes or so. Because of press space limitations with the fanned rib array, I often only use two presses when ribbing small panels. This particular soundboard has 19 ribs - so using three presses was much more efficient.

Terry Farrell

www.farrellpiano.com