repinning a Baldwin Hamilton

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 3 10:21:32 MDT 2008

Gosh, John, thanks for the detail.

So, do you have little marked bottles of solution all lined up in a row?  Duh, I hadn't thought of the different solutions...I usually just go for repinning because I know what my results are going to be and I have a pretty good idea of how long it will take.  But it would make sense, I guess, to give the water/alcohol sizing another try.  I haven't worked on many pianos where sizing was an option.

The key bushings I checked seemed OK, but I had thought of using VS Profelt to see how "perfect" the sizing could get with that method and compare it to my usual ironing-in Teflon procedure.  Thanks for mentioning the half-punching trick.  I've used it several times on grands, but never on an upright.  I'll keep that in mind if it still feels heavy.

Best,

Barbara Richmond, RPT
still a learner, too, near Peoria, Illinois