Pianist breaking many strings

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Wed Oct 1 18:29:02 MDT 2008

Bruce,

I think this may be in the archive somewhere, but here is a run down on what
might help.  It does involve the pianist having to pay for more service . .

1. Replace all weakened wire at once.  Get it all fresh and new, and while
you're at it, smooth the capo bar - but don't make it flat.
2. Shape the hammers
3. Regulate the action

This should stop it for a while.  Hammer wear increases the stress on the
wire, so keeping the hammers filed is the best way to minimize breakage.
What this means is scheduling full service, once a year at least.

I do not like to reduce letoff, as it affects the tone too much during soft
playing.  I have been playing with a new idea, though, that a few have
reported helps.  That is to raise the balance rail glide in that area - not
the treble most one, but the next one down.  Turn it all the way up, so that
it won't knock.  This way the touch and tone are correct during all but the
loudest playing, but in very aggressive playing the balance rail will
bounce, absorbing some of the energy and reducing the stress on the strings
a little.

Do replace all the weak wire and shape the hammers, though.

Good luck.

Don Mannino