Pianist breaking many strings

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 1 12:15:14 MDT 2008

How about a Gulbransen spinet?  They sound so bad that he will not want to play it very much, thereby limiting the number of strings that break.

Seriously, I might try tuning the piano to a lower pitch level.  I used to tune for a small dinner theater where I would always find at least one string broken each month when I came to tune.   I started tuning the piano to A435 and this reduced the number of broken strings significantly.

Less tension equaled fewer strings breaking.

Tom Sivak
Chicago