concert grand leg removal

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Sat May 31 03:48:04 MDT 2008

    I built a support box exactly like Susan Graham's (November 1988 Journal, page 14; picture of box on front cover) for jacking up grand pianos in order to work on the legs, casters, etc.  The only difference between hers and mine is that she used 3/4" plywood and I used pine boards (1" x 8").
     I've only used it for smaller grands so far and I'm wondering if it will support one side (one of the front corners) of a 9-ft. concert grand.  I suppose I could just go ahead and stick it under there and start jacking it up and see if the box looks like it's gonna hold, but it seems risky.
    Don't know if the CD version of the Journals has all the pictures of front covers.
    --David Nereson, RPT