Striking point

Jessica Masse ebonyandivory at on.aibn.com
Fri May 30 21:39:42 MDT 2008

Alicia,

Did those Bosendorfer techs or whoever they are sell you the piano?

Sounds like the fall wasn't too good for the piano.  If it was okay and you
liked it before, I would think that the hammers are fine too.  I don't know
what back post came out but there are nose bolts attached to these that
affect the plate height.   If the post dropped as well as popped out and the
spacers moved you may have another problem.  Have you taken a good light and
made sure from both sides that the soundboard and the liner are still glued
up?  I have had pianos with soundboard loose around the perimeter.

Everything in terms of the regulation of the piano action will start with
the key bed and how it's attached to the piano.  Did you lose a shim where
the key bed is attached to the frame? Are all these screws tight?  Did you
actually loose some wood when it fell or did it just crack?  Sounds like you
have to glue the key bed all back up?  You probably would have to remove the
key rails for this.

The Steinways that I see have expansion cracks or spaces built into them so
the weather doesn't affect the key bed.   Many different pianos are built
this way and I tend to think this is the preferred way.

Why do you need to replace other posts?

Jessica Masse

RPT Piano Technicians Guild