pedal repair

Claude Harding charding88 at comcast.net
Thu May 29 08:50:03 MDT 2008

I join you guys in voting for the T-nuts.  I don't carry my tilter with me
every day, but I do have the T-nuts and an assortment of machine screws to
fit them.
As far as installing them without the tilter, there is often room enough for
my skinny little hand  to slip them under the piano and line them up with
the hole I have drilled for them.  I pull them up into place in the bottom
of the piano by using a machine screw with the pedal bracket out of the way.
Then I take the machine screw out, put the pedal bracket in place, and make
the final installation with the machine screws securing the bracket into the
T-nuts below.  If I need more room to work, I just prop up one end of the
piano on a piece of 2x4 or some other block that I carry in my van.  I never
have had to use a tilter for this job, although if you have one with you, it
might make things a little quicker, then again, maybe not.

REMINDER:  If you are drilling the holes for the T-nuts without tilting the
piano, be sure to slide a piece of 1/4" plywood or something else under the
piano at that point to protect the customer's floor in case your drill bit
goes through the bottom board a little too far.  [ No, not PERSONAL
experience; my daddy just taught me to be careful.  :-) ]

Claude H.

  _____