lo-o-o-ong sustain

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri May 23 07:16:21 MDT 2008

It reminds me of Union Station in KC.  Anyone ever check that place out
when attending National Seminars at Crown Plaza? I would hate to have to
tune in there!

ptw

Allen Wright <akwright at btopenworld.com>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
05/22/2008 05:58 PM
Please respond to
Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>

Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
lo-o-o-ong sustain

I have to say: I've tuned in some rooms with a lot of reverb before, but
this one takes the cake (see below); the reverb time must have been 5
seconds (probably more - I only had 30 minutes to tune, so not a lot of
time to get out the stopwatch : )    No doubt many of you have tuned in
museums before, and know what the experience is like. This room sounds
like a small cathedral - note the size of the guy down at the end of the
room. That gives an idea of scale, and is where the stage was - under the
dome! (Igor Levitt with the English Chamber Orchestra).

http://www.vam.ac.uk/collections/paintings/galleries/48a/index.html

What with the chaos of chairs being setup (locked together in some noisy
fashion) and a guy going around with some kind of compression gun,
stapling the the stage floor together, I was really glad to have my ETD to
help clean up unisons (especially in the treble). With that kind of
reverb, bad unisons can get smoothed over and hard to hear.

Allen Wright
London, UK