center pinning question

"Rafael M. Huberman Muñiz" rafahuberman at prodigy.net.mx
Thu May 15 21:47:23 MDT 2008

Allen,

I think that the problem is with something in your repinning
technique. Either is your device for pushing the old pin out (punch,
pliers, etc.) or the way you push the new one in, or the things you do
in between.
The first one: you have to be very careful when you push the pin out.
The first thing is to note if the old pin has rough edges (one or both
of them) due to technicians that cut both sides of the pin after
inserting it or, worse than this, technicians who file the end of the
pins so you don't see the rough cut but a smooth surface. If there is
only one side cut then you have to push the pin out by the clean side
being careful to put your tool right in the middle and realy straight
so you don't scratch the bushing. It's very important not to go all
the way through with the tool because you will push the bushing
inwards tightening it the same way that the tool for tightening key
bushings works. This depends on the tool you use… If the pin has cuts
on both sides or it has been filed then whatever you do will damage
the bushing…  So, pushing the old pin out can make damage to the
bushing that will result in tightening temporarly the bushing. Notice
that I said temporarly. if you put the same size of pin after a few
weeks it will be loose as it was the other one, or even worse if you
loosed the bushing  with a reamer or file for fitting the new one… If
you are repinning there is no way you will put same size pins, it have
to be at least one size up.
I won't talk right now about sizing up the new pin, but once you got
it right then you have to be very careful tu put it straight and push
it with a straight surface so you don't tight it when you press at the
end (there are some tools that have an indentation for the pin and can
work as the key bushing tightener tool).
So my assessment is that there is no wore in the pins but some kind of
swallow of the bushing while in the process of repinning.
To test if something like this is happening just take one of your
tight repinned piece and apply one drop on each side pf protek center
pin lubricant and wait a few minutes and balance it a few times and
you will notice that it is loose. If this happens you need to put in a
thicker pin.

Rafael

Rafael M. Huberman Muñiz

ArtePiano