floating the soundboard

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Tue May 13 02:53:33 MDT 2008

Hi John and all.

"... Treble... echoing round the rim..." is exactly how I would describe the
sound on the floating treble pianos I crossed.
Also, the amount and the aesthetic quality of the after ring is amazing on
those (of course, partly because of the smaller dampers, but even with
dampers lift, the reaction of the whole belly + strings to a single note in
treble can be, well, magical or rather common).
I suppose that this has to do with the fact that the energy input into the
treble is not kept for long sustain, but more generously spent in the belly,
leaving the sustain thing to the after ring things.  Does this make sense ?

Stéphane Collin.