Estonia 6'3" Grand

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon May 12 21:42:00 MDT 2008

> Unfortunately there was not a great deal of improvement-still very
> false. I did not think to mass load the bridge to lower the driven
> resonant frequency. Perhaps that would have made a difference. The
> original pins coming out of the bridge were very tight. The beating was
> at times very fast, especially up near D7 and higher.
>
> The front duplex is movable on the more recent ones but if you shorten
> them it tends to reduce the angle from the capo to the aliquot (because
> that part of the plate angles downward). Nevertheless, de-tuning them
> does take a lot of noise out of that area. I have had one customer that
> pointed out an "unfocussed" sound on every note where the front duplex
> was longest.
>
>  Any ideas on what else can be done for the false beating?
>
> Scott Nelson, RPT

You might finish the thought and actually try mass loading the
bridge. Very fast beating through a general range isn't
typically going to be loose bridge pins, as the screwdriver on
the pin test will tell you pretty quickly. If you can't
reconfigure the front duplex to a more sane and quiet form,
try Pitchlocks as a workaround.
Ron N