floating the soundboard

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon May 12 12:20:07 MDT 2008

Hi Terry.

I see we agree on most points. Thanks for the level headed reply as is
your want.  The only area we dont seem to intersect on the particular
thread is what relevance our comments to each other has to do with Deans
original post.  I was under the impression your reply to me was directed
at my comments of
http://ptg.org/pipermail/pianotech.php/2008-May/222195.html, not Deans post.
I simply asked him why he was interested in experimenting with floating
the bass region. In re-reading that post I see nothing controversial in
it.  Just a bit of ordinary musing along with a question. The aftermath
I agree has nothing really to do with Deans post, and I have already
commented to that effect.

As to whom elste in the wide world is working on floating soundboards...
well I honestly dont know... tho I have absolutely no doubt if I took
the time to hunt I could find some... and probably some of their ideas
would vary from Dels and Ron N's... as do some of Ron O's ideas vary
from these first two.  This is only natural yes ???

As for the degree to which you were addressing "planetary piano redesign
philosophy/abilities"  or not in your initial response to me
http://ptg.org/pipermail/pianotech.php/2008-May/222197.html  all I can say
is that it looked to me like that was exactly what you WERE doing in
contrast to actually addressing Deans inquiry.  I still dont see where
you addressed anything from Deans posts in that one... but it really
doesn't matter. As I said in my last... nothing here to get anyones
feathers all rilled as far as I can see.

Cheers
RicB

     > RicB wrote:
     > Yeah... but had you been brought into the buisness from the
    ground level
     > up by some of the folks I mentioned.... you'd have been
    influenced by
     > that experience... like everyone else on the face of the planet
    would be
     > yes ??..

    Sure, of course.

     > and your whole attitude and philosophy towards how to go about
     > rebuilding pianos would be reflected by that experience... just
    like it
     > is now only by a different crowd.  Course any given person can
    always
     > turn out to be the exception to the rule.  But the overwhelming
    majority
     > of people out there stick pretty stubbornly to what they have
    learned
     > from there mentors... whomever they be.  Or hadnt you noticed  ??
    :):)

    Sure, of course. But the initial question was about floating the
    bass of a small piano - not about all of the above.

     > And  in answer to part of your question... yes... there are lots of
     > people out in the big wide world who are very successful at
    working with
     > rebuilders.  Of course there are. Pianotech and our little
    community of
     > active folks here is after all a very very small part of the
    world wide
     > piano technical community after all.

    Sure, of course. But, to the best of my knowledge there are not
    other rebuilders/designers who are experienced in redesigning in
    loose-foot features. Correct? And please do correct me if I am
    wrong, because I am willing to be enlightened - actually, most
    anxious. I was just trying to adress Dean's question and not try to
    analyze planetary piano redesign philosophy/abilities.

    Terry Farrell