New computer software

kurt baxter fortefile at gmail.com
Thu May 8 09:52:30 MDT 2008

> even the junkiest spinet they pulled out of a garage...?

Amusing and thoughtful question...
Do keep in mind that in this particular case the "virtual piano" software
only costs $399. For a a struggling young sound studio, I can see the
appeal.

The sound of the solo piano samples I listened to at that link were
passable,
but still distinctly plastic and thin.

For a piano-forward recording I think would be tacky, but for a rock band
looking to add some piano texture or hook way back in the mix, It seems
like a remarkable technological achievement.

Or, they could just go out and buy a $1000 beat up piano and record with
that, and end up with a sound with a lot more sincerity and character.

[kurt]