Selling a piano on eBay

Mark Dierauf pianotech at nhpianos.com
Sun May 4 12:48:28 MDT 2008

Personally I'd be very wary of selling an item that I don't own and
actually have in my possession. Remember that your eBay feedback is the
only way buyers have to gauge your honesty and trustworthiness as a
seller, and because you don't have total control over this sale you may
leave yourself at risk of incurring negative feedback for the benefit of
the actual owner. Beyond that I would suggest lots of pictures and
descriptive text, with emphasis on the bad, as well as the good points
about the piano. You don't want potential buyers to be surprised by
anything, and you DO want them to believe that you've gone out of your
way to describe the item accurately. Look at the completed sales for
similar pianos to get an idea of actual selling prices, and set the
price to the absolute least that the owner will consider without any
reserve. Moving is going to be an issue here so be clear about what
you're willing to do to facilitate this. Personally I would insist on
payment before delivery, i.e. cash or check cleared into the owner's
account. If people actually start bidding, be prepared to answer lots of
email questions.

- Mark Dierauf