Buzzing at the bridge pin?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu May 1 08:38:46 MDT 2008

> I tuned a 30ish yr old Young Chang today that had a scattering of notes
> that had
> a distinct buzzing coming from at least one string in the unison. There
> were about
> 5 of these notes, from the bass to tenor.
>
> Troubleshooting showed that the buzzing seemed to be happening at the front
> (termination point) bridge pin. No cracks. The pin was loose enough to
> wiggle
> a tad, but not loose enough to pull out with my fingers, even with the
> string
> removed.
>
> A previous tuner had "solved" the problem by putting a paper shim (about two
> thicknesses of a business card) on top of the bridge, under the strings.
>
> This seemed to stop the buzzing.
>
> Any idea what is going on here, and what is the right way to fix it?
>

> [kurt]

I've seen this in a couple of Young Changs. In both cases, the
front bearing was negative, and the pin angle was close to
vertical. Plugging and reinstalling bridge pins at a greater
slant angle would likely quiet the buzzing, though it wouldn't
do anything for the bearing angle. A band aid, not a fix.
Ron N