breaking loops

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Mar 31 23:11:44 MST 2008

I have a hunch these two comments are where the problem (in my case)
lies... tho to be sure I do not know these things.  Still it seems to
make sense.  In the picture provided by Ron N., the upper loop looks
like the ones I am getting.  If the lower loop in the picture provides
less stress on the loop and otherwise is sound, then I will send it
along to the maker for their edification.

Thanks for all the commentary.

Cheers
RicB

         From JD's earlier commentary:

         > 5.  They are winding too tight a spiral.  Although this will not
         > necessarily lead to breakages, provided the wire and
        everything else is
         > OK, it can happen.  I use a fixed number of turns for a given
        wire size
         > and eye-length.

    These were my observations to the maker. I asked for a longer
    loop with a lower entry angle into the spiral, not cranked to
    the very limit of slack. The above loop was from the set that
    was breaking, the lower from the replacement set that didn't.

    Ron N