Grand Cleaning

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Mar 31 16:43:29 MST 2008

At 18:16 -0400 31/3/08, Farrell wrote:

>Um, not to seem overly critical or picky, but the plate is that hard
>heavy metal thingee that the strings are tied to. It's the big gold
>thing you see when you open the lid of the piano. I think that big
>flat wooden thingee under the strings and under the big heavy metal
>thingeeÊis called a soundboard or sumptin'.

And not to be over-critical of American usage, that hard metal thing
is called in England the iron frame or metal frame, and Theodore
Steinway refers to it as the metal frame.  A plate by definition is
flat or sometimes domed and is a totally inapt term to use for the
metal frame.  The "soundboard" of violins etc. is correctly referred
to as the "plate".  That part of the metal frame where the hitchpins
are is also a plate, the hitch plate, which existed before metal
frames existed and which was eventually cast in to the metal frame.
I don't know when Americans started calling the frame the plate, but
it's certainly a misnomer.  As to capo tasto, capotasto, capo
d'astro, capodastro and, lately on this list "capo tastro", the only
literate one of this glorious collection is the first and a capo
tasto has no place in a piano.  The fact that Steinway cast one or
other of these illiterate misnomers into his old metal frames, which
were presumably not yet misnamed plates, does not give it any
validity.

JD