re Split one piece bridge

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Mar 31 04:12:16 MST 2008

First, considering that if the owner doesn't want to pay to fix it without
complete restringing, i.e. plate removal, consider an epoxy repair -
definitely the least expensive way to go - not sure how the false-beat/tone
picture will emerge though.

Perhaps another method would be to rout/chisel the bridge down to the full
depth of a bridge pin. Appropriately thickness a cap (will be at least full
depth of bridge pin). Mark cap for pin holes. Drill cap outside of piano (or
at least the pins that will pose problematic drilling from plate
interference). Epoxy cap in place (West System two-step). Install pins (or
even install plate interference pins outside piano) and restring. That
should give you a repair as good or better than new without compromise and
without plate removal.

I've never done it that way, but it should work just fine I should think.

Terry Farrell