Major Surgery

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Mar 29 15:22:06 MST 2008

At 11:59 -0700 29/3/08, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

>It has long puzzled me why piano makers would go to such extremes
>when designing and fitting pinblocks. Brinsmead is not alone in
>this. We're working on a Kranich & Bach piano just now with another
>unnecessarily complex pinblock
>design...

I don't know for how long Brinsmead ran this design.  I've not seen
it before and I doubt whether many pianos were made to this pattern.
I have also never seen a Brinsmead with a cast-in top bridge like
this and I think this is the key.  Much later many small grands used
a cast-in bridge but my guess is that the technology for casting sych
a frame was not developed and there were problems for the foundry in
combining this design with a more rational plate.

I've never come across such an early piano with a cast-in top bridge
all the way through.  It's even possible Brinsmead was the first to
try it.  Have you come across any American pianos as early as this
with a cast-in top bridge?

JD