Bohemia pianos

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Sat Mar 29 13:45:10 MST 2008

 Hmm, sounds weird, Les.  I've tuned lots of Bohemia pianos, but I haven't needed to file the hammers yet.  I have to admit, I haven't noticed three layers of felt, though I don't doubt the truth of what you say.  I do know that the hammers get pretty hard after a while.  The ones I've worked on respond well to conventional voicing.  What model piano is it?  The 158 can get real harsh sounding.

Key bushings have been inconsistent...some are tight, some are loose.  Hard to say what the manufacturer wanted, it may have been more of a question of how the guy on the line was feeling on that particular day.  Maybe the one you looked at was done on an "I'm angry so I'm gonna squeeze the hell outta you" day.

Also, more than one has had sloppy balance rail holes.

Overall, I like them.  Bechstein ownership of the company will undoubtedly bring changes for better or worse.

Contact info for Bohemia is Bohemiapianousa at aol.com.  The people there will probably have to forward your technical question to the factory, so the response won't be immediate, but it will get there.

Good luck,

Dave Stahl, RPT
Dave Stahl Piano Service
dstahlpiano.net