Math/Physics Problem: degrees of rotation of tuning pin = how much pitch change

kurt baxter fortefile at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 11:04:03 MST 2008

Ok, I asked this on a previous thread, but I think the question got buried.
How would one calculate the pitch change implied by a given degree of
rotation of a tuning pin?

The know factors would be:

string length
string thickness
tuning pin diameter (and therefore radius)

With those factors known, is it possible to calculate the exact rotational
movement (in fractions of a degree)
required to make a pitch change of say, 1 hertz at the note middle C?

(this is a impractical theoretical calculation- ignoring, for the moment,
and factor of friction)

Anyone out there better at math than me?

[kurt]