Major Surgery

voce88 at aol.com voce88 at aol.com
Sat Mar 29 12:37:58 MST 2008

Del,

As you know, the pinblock is not the only unusual part of a K&B restoration.

What are you doing about the action? Are you rebuilding the original wippens or have you found someone who makes them? By the way, good luck in regulation! (Whew - been there, done that)

All the best,

Rich Galassini

Cunningham Piano Company

(215) 991-0834

It has long puzzled me why piano makers would go to such extremes when designing
and fitting pinblocks. Brinsmead is not alone in this. We're working on a
Kranich & Bach piano just now with another unnecessarily complex pinblock
design. This thing has four separate twisted and convoluted levels -- each of
which must be carefully fitted to a mating offset in the plate. These were not
particularly great or expensive pianos yet constructing and fitting this
pinblock clearly wasted considerable time and effort.

Del
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Manufacturing Consultant
620 South Tower Avenue