Grand Cleaning

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Fri Mar 28 23:35:39 MST 2008

Matthew

You've gotten some good advice, but what I have not seen is what?I used to do in St. Louis, and something I am going to start?doing for?my customer here in Hawaii. For grands, I take the action home and?clean the keys, vacuum under the keys, tighten the screws and shape the hammers. When I return to the customer, I vacuum out the action cavity, clean the soundboard with a damp rag, using?a soundboard steel, clean the plate and vacuum the pin area using a hard bristle paint brush.?The most important part of this is cleaning the soundboard and the pin area because?that is what the customer sees. One other thing I will do is clean the pedals. The?salt air here on the island corrodes?most pedals. But all you will have to do is polish them. It adds a nice touch. It will take about 2?hours to do all of this, plus a second trip to the customer's house, so price it accordingly.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu, HI
Author of