"pin set", test blows, string segment tension balance: Reality Check?

kurt baxter fortefile at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 15:52:53 MST 2008

I am looking for some clarity on the issue of settling a string/pin
in order to hold a solid unison.

When it comes to string stability, test blows, "pin set" technique,
pin twisting, pin flagpolling etc...

What do we actually KNOW about what is going on, and how do we know it?

I hear techs with various (and often conflicting) personal stories and
myths that seem to work for them, and often make intuitive sense on some
level, but how do we separate verifiable reality from what seems to be
simply "dogma" of the trade?

What actual empirical evidence do we have, and how can that be applied
to tuning hammer technique?

[kurt]