Grand Cleaning

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Mar 28 10:53:54 MST 2008

Matthew,

You'd be suprised at how many folks will pay for cleaning jobs.  You might
notice in nicer homes if a cleaning person works there.  That's a good
target market.

Yes, several levels of cleaning works well for me.  I always dust off the
piano anyway after a tuning just as a nice gesture.  My prices would vary
as to how dirty the piano is, but would offer further services like
polishing pedals, sanitizing keys, cleaning action as well as keybed, etc.
 The full monty includes soundboard, full plate, (even under strings with
Q-tips) polishing cabinet, using furnature markers for covering
scratches,keybed, action, damperheads, etc.  All in all, anything you can
reach! That does take quite a bit of time.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Matthew Todd <toddpianoworks at yahoo.com>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
03/28/2008 12:22 PM
Please respond to
Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>

pianotech at ptg.org
cc

Subject
Grand Cleaning

A client wants me to come over and clean her Kawai grand.  This will be my
first, and I was curious as to what kind of service(s) I can offer her.
According to the "G" piano works labor guide, a complete grand cleaning
can take as long as 3.5 hrs.  When I talked with my client, she had only
mentioned about cleaning the soundboard, but then again, she may not
realize all the dust that can accumulate in her keybed, etc.

What kind of cleaning services do you all offer?  Do you offer the most
basic service and go up to the most complete cleaning?  When I go through
a car wash, I can pay three bucks, and all they'll do is hose my car down.
 Or I can pay more for scrubbing, and even more to get the wheels done.  I
just need advice on how to sort this out.  3.5 hrs sounds like a great
service, but I don't know how many clients are willing to pay that.

Thanks in advance!
Matthew