Steinway repetition problem

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Mon Mar 24 21:15:35 MST 2008

William,
There's no magic. All the stuff you've done needed doing, now let's check the balance of the key. I have a very detailed method for doing this but all you have to do is give this piano 25gr of upweight (with the damper pedal depressed) and you should be good to go. To check, take one of your failing keys and slide a weight back and forth on the rear of the key until the key will lift 25gr. That should let you know if it's the problem. If that key board has upweights in the teens it's not going to play correctly and your going to have the type of problems your describing especially with the damper pedal depressed. Don't add weight to the back if you have it in the front to remove, but I doubt there is any in the front, if there is that's probably a booboo. To take a lead out, drill a hole in a 2x2 a little larger than the lead, place the key in a 'T' formation across the 2x2 with the lead over the hole. Put this whole deal on your drill press table with the drill press off. Place a punch, or rod, or drill bit upside down, of a diameter a little smaller than the lead and punch it out. Or just use a hammer. That's if there's lead in the front. To add it at the back you'll need to buy some leads, 1/2" should work, take one and slide it around on the back of each key and make a mark where it provides a 25gr upweight, then drill those keys with a 1/2 bit and push the lead in. Tap it with a screw driver to swage it and make it stay in the hole. Or just use Jiffy leads. All this is assuming the piano does not have too much friction. This is a very abbreviated procedure to accurately setting a balance weight, but will work very well on upright pianos in my experience.
Fenton