Stolen tools

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sat Mar 22 11:34:31 MST 2008

HI Dale:

Since I am in New Hampshire and you are in lovely California, I think it
unlikely Dennis' tools will pass before my eyes.  But a brief tale if I may,
in the hope that it might be of use.

In 1980 I was living in Connecticut and worked with a fellow technician.
One day his car was broken into and his tuning kit stolen.  Given the
proprietary nature of so many of the tools that we use, we figured Mr. Fast
Fingers would probably have some difficulty selling them to the man off the
street.  We visited all the pawn shops in the area right after the tools
were stolen, and told them about the tools.  We said that they were stolen,
that we were interested in getting them back, and that we would pay an award
to whomever returned them.

A couple of days later, we got a call from an unnamed person who said he
knew the person who had taken them.  Long story short, I met this fellow in
a parking lot, gave him 50 bucks for his trouble, asked no questions, and
got the tools back (all of them).

Maybe we were paying the guy who had stolen them, I don't know.  But the
down time ended for my friend at a cost far lower than their replacement
would have been.

Let's hope you can get lucky in the same way.

Will Truitt