Name this bolt, please.

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Fri Mar 21 16:48:22 MST 2008

Thumb bolt?  Thumb screw?

dp

David M. Porritt, RPT

dporritt at smu.edu <mailto:dporritt at smu.edu>

From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On
Behalf Of John Delacour
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2008 6:35 PM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: Name this bolt, please.

The carmen delivered a grand last week and when they'd left I realized
they hadn't attached the lyre.  Then I realized why : they'd lost the
bolts and hadn't the nerve to tell me.  It turns out another team picked
the piano up, and  "they were tired and couldn't remember", poor souls.
Besides, the lyre wasn't fixed properly at the house etc. etc.  The old
ones are the best!

They probably won't bother to find them, so I have the problem of
getting new ones.  Luckily the thread is 3/8" British Standard Whitworth
and as a last resort I could have a welder make them up from coach
bolts, but I'd rather look for the proper things first.  The question is
: what do you call a bolt of this style that is not a wing bolt?

JD