unusual dampers

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Mar 21 16:07:50 MST 2008

At 14:27 -0700 21/3/08, Jurgen Goering wrote:

>Dampers shaped like an "M" for bi-chords sound like a good idea.
>However, my personal experience is that there is normally not a
>problem with regular shaped "V" dampers for bi-chords if they are
>seated correctly.  For me, damping problems usually originate
>elsewhere.
>
>Having said that, if there is a demand for this style of bass damper
>felt, I can get some custom cut from high quality felt.  A factory
>minimum would apply to my order with the felt maker, but if there is
>sufficient demand I would be willing to stock this.
>Anyone interested?

Such a felt is only going to be suitable for a small range of bichoed
diameters with fixed spacing (agraffe).  I can't see much sale for
such a product.

I'm currently considering another problem with an 1870 grand that has
bichords right down to note 9 and no agraffes or pressure bar, so
that the lowest bichords are really close together and 3.65 mm thick.
In those days they used a thick flat felt all the way through, and
this tends to shape itself round the strings something like an m, but
I'm wondering what to use for the restoration -- perhaps upright
v-section felt with a backing tapering in thickness in order to get
the damper line straight and tidy-looking.  The strings are at a good
tension and have plenty of power, so I doubt whether the original
flat felt arrangement will damp well enough unless I increase the
tension on the damper-body springs (it has them) and perhaps affect
the touch detrimentally.

Specially shaped felts can be made starting with Steinway hammer-rest
felt using a simply-made jig.

JD