birdcage pitch?

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Mar 21 13:44:07 MST 2008

"In general I don´t do such extreme pitch raises up to 440 Hz in field service."

Why not? Piano owners pay good $$ for such a service.

"I was not brave enough to tune it on 440 first, so first I tuned it between 1 and 2 half tones flat and went on to 440. I think it took me 6 or 7 passes that day."

Six or seven passes? Sounds like a lot of work. You should be able to do such a pitch raise in two and a half passes. First pass A440 plus ten cents in the bass and maybe 20 cents on the long bridge. After that first pass the bass and tenor might be in the range of 30 to 50 cents flat. The treble will likely be more flat - so go through the treble a second time and raise it so that it ends up 20 or 30 cents flat. Then go through the entire scale doing a normal pitch raise with appropriate overpull.

I do it like that often. Works well.

Terry Farrell