Kimball Spinet Issue

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Fri Mar 21 11:10:07 MST 2008

Put some thin CA glue in a hypo oiler. Apply carefully and slowly at the
base of the pin on the top side. It will reach a saturation point and start
to run down the plate. Have a Q-Tip ready in case you don't stop in time and
it continues to run down the string. You want to stop it at the pressure bar
so it won't run down the string onto the damper felt. DAMHIK. Give it a few
minutes and it should be tight enough to tune.

What you really should do is sell her a whole treatment and do every pin.
For that job it is best to lay the piano down with a tilter. I like to apply
about 2 oz to an entire piano. There is lots in the archives on this. It
takes about 45 minutes, I charge about 3 times my tuning rate and give them
an 8 year warranty against slipping pins. Others on the list think I am
crazy for giving the warranty. But I find it gives the customer a value
added service and increases their comfort level.

Dean

  _____