balance hole reamer?

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Thu Mar 20 14:43:20 MST 2008

 JD writes:

<< Yes.  Now answer me this :  The picture below shows keys from grand
pianos by three excellent makers.  In all of them the lowest contact
with the balance pin is made over 1mm from the bottom suface of the
key. Why? >>

I would assume that it is to prevent wood from splitting at the edges of the
hole. And it seems that if you push a conical burnisher in from the bottom,
you are raising the contact edge even higher up in the hole.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the
video on AOL Home.<BR>