Protected? Maybe not .... was Re: Incorporation questions

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Mar 20 04:27:56 MST 2008

To the best of my knowledge, both Alan and Paul are correct. But what needs to be emphasized is that for the corporate shield to fail (or be pierced), one needs to be guilty of negligence, malfeasance, criminal or just plain boneheaded activity. If your work is up to normal standards, and you are not trying to screw anyone, the corporate shield should remain intact and offer the expected immunity.

If you are "driving your service vehicle (with the neon advertising all ablaze) at 10 AM on Tuesday, on your way to tune that church's piano" and take out a new Rolls Royce, assuming it was an accident, the corporate shield should still remain intact. If someone can prove that you have some sort of long-standing hatred of Rolls Royce automobiles and can prove that you intentionally targeted that car to run down, then you would be guilty of criminal intent and the corporate shield would fall.

In most cases, where you are conducting business in a professional, competent and ethical manner, the corporate shield should offer your personal assets liablity protection. That's the way it is designed.

I you go into a home drunk (negligent SOB) and fall on the piano and tip it over onto the baby, sure, kiss your home and car and everthing else you own goodbye - S-Corp or no S-Corp.

Terry Farrell