for those on the fence about hearing protection..

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Wed Mar 19 23:52:56 MST 2008

<<I agree with you completly Phil, there is no such thing as "pounding too hard" unless you are breaking keys regularly!>>
(from a previous post; lost track of the author)

I have to disagree with this.  There is such a thing as pounding too hard.  I used to pound really hard, and would occasionally break key sticks and strings, although many times, the keys had a weak spot in the grain, usually at the balance pin hole, and the strings were OK but the hammers were too hard.  Anyway, I would frequently find my tunings sharp when doing my final check, even tho' they were "right on" with the SAT as I was tuning, doing unisons as I went.  I asked the list about this, and someone replied that too-hard test blows can cause strings to drift sharp.  I have since lightened up my key pounding and have almost no incidence of tunings drifting sharp.  I haven't changed my tuning style in any other aspect, so I think that was it.
    --David Nereson, RPT

  And pounding hard too often leaves you with strings creeping
  sharp when you quit, particularly when you're lowering pitch.

  Ron N

  Or raising pitch.  Doesn't seem to matter, in my experience.  --D.N.